Homeopathic treatment for Chorea
Chorea is an unbalanced, speedy, unrestrained, spontaneous, unwarranted movement of the different parts of the body. The kid usually looks twitchy or restive and incapable of sitting still. The term “chorea” originates from the Greek term for dance. The irregular and spasmodic activities of the legs, feet, arms, hands or even face are similar to hopping. When the symptoms of chorea are severe, the episodes may cause gestures of the arms that outcome in the pitching of whatever is in the hands. Walking may develop to weird movements.
This syndrome aka Sydenham’s chorea and Saint Vitus Dance and often, but not at all times it results from rheumatism. Chorea usually starts between the ages of 6 and 15. Some physicians believe that the symptoms of Chorea disappear after a few months, but in my practice, I documented only deterioration if appropriate treatment not applied.
A medical practitioner has to differentiate the ‘dance-like’ gestures of Saint Vitus Dance from athetosis, and ballismus.
There is few more medical disorder to differentiate chorea from –ataxia and Parkinsonism. The main diagnostic criteria are that Ataxia impacts the intentional activities and Chorea, as mentioned above, applies to involuntary movements. At the same time, Parkinsonism manifests by an interruption of controlled activities.
The table below describes the difference between Chorea, Athetosis, and Ballismus.
It is very important to understand that Chorea is not a disease, but a symptom of varies diseases.
- Saint Vitus Dance can come about as a result of different diseases and ailments.
- Chorea is one of the symptoms of Huntington’s disease, which is a neurodegenerative inherited medical condition that impacts coordination of skeleton muscles and results in intellectual debility and developmental disturbances.
- Twenty-six percent of kids and teenagers with rheumatism advance the Sydenham’s chorea as a complication of main illness.
- Chorea gravid arum is an uncommon form of Saint Vitus Dance that develops during
- Some pharmaceutical drugs can cause the development of Saint Vitus Dance.
- Neuroacanthocytosis, a hereditary disease that affects the peripheral and center nervous systems and muscles’ membranes. Most common complications of this illness are limb chorea, neuropathy, a facial tick, and seizures.
The following homeopathic remedies most often used for Chorea treatment:
Agaricus [Agar] – is a great remedy for a cerebral form of involuntary movements (Chorea). The most common symptoms for Agaricus are:
- The jerking may happen during a night sleep, but usually and stronger while wakeful.
- Significant congestion to the cranium, widened pupils, reddened face.
- Involuntary movements more active during the thunderstorm. This symptom needs to be differentiated with similar in Phosphor.
- Muscular twitching, especially twitching of the eyeballs and upper eyelids;
- Angular spasmodic motions of the limbs; this is a condition when the involuntary activities occur on an arm and an opposite leg. It is very important to differentiate this condition from the similar Tarentula The difference is that in Tarentula cases the chorea impacts arm and leg on the right side and not across the body.
- The lumbar part of the spine becomes tender and painful on palpation. Also, Agaricus leads to cold sensation in the feet and weakness of the lower limbs. This symptom is similar to Conium, but in the case of Agaricus, it also has a tottering
- While the ailment advances, it accompanies with significant weight loss and an idiotic look on the face.
Tarentula [Tarent] is one of the most usable and effective remedies for Chorea if symptoms that patient manifests are similar to this medicine:
- Twitching impact right side of the body (right arm and right leg) and when these spasmodic activities are equal during the day and night.
- Despite the spasm in the right leg, an individual feels better if running than if walking
- The distraction of the attention and emotions makes an individual feel better. Music is one of the best tools for this kind of diversion.
Zincum [Zinc] – the main symptom for this remedy is constant feet movement that happens even during night sleep. This remedy specifically appropriate in cases when the Chorea started as a result of a blocked eruption. I had a good example of this kind of Chorea in my practice when a 7 years old boy got involuntary spasmodic face movements after his dermatitis been treated with topical antibiotic creams. Zincum patients are usually depressed and irritable, and they feel worse from consumption of alcohol.
Cimicifuga [Cimic] is the right remedy if involuntary motions impact the left side of the body and are accompanied by muscular pain similar to fibromyalgia and/or rheumatism in small joints. The spine is sensitive to palpation. Don’t forget that the main characteristic for this remedy is “Cherchez la Femme” which means “Look for the woman.” That’s why Cimicifuga specifically indicated for young females with poor, irregular menstruations. Insomnia is also an essential symptom for Cimicifuga.
Belladonna [Bell] is beneficial in cases of “La Grande Choree”. The Belladonna patient changes position all the time. The twitching usually directed to the back and patient’s head jerks backward. Belladonna is responsible for the high intensity of its symptoms. Sometimes individual needs even to be restrained to avoid self-injury.
Conclusion about homeopathic treatment of Chorea.
Sydenham’s chorea, aka Saint Vitus Dance, chorea minor, and infectious chorea is the illness of the central nervous system. This medical disorder manifests in the form of unintentional and swift, unbalanced hyperactivities of the different clusters of the muscles of the upper and lower limbs, eyes, lips, etc.
The Saint Vitus Dance usually fallouts from other medical conditions:
- Group A beta-hemolytic Streptococcus;
- Antipsychotic pharmaceutical medicine
- Acute rheumatic fever (ARF);
- Disseminated lupus erythematosus
- Cerebrovascular accident or malignant grow in the brain that impacts the caudate nucleus.
Chorea has a tendency disturb kids in ages between 4 to 16 and happens in females more often. The beginning of this condition in adults is not common.
Homeopathic medicine has strong weapons against different forms of Sydenham’s chorea and if remedies used according to “like cures like” rule most of the patients get cured in a matter of few months.